Tuesday 7 November 2017

Papercraft: Final Product

I had to make a fair amount of revisions to the plant pot for the final version of this papercraft project. I originally had it separated into two sections, the base of the pot and the top, but I realized it would be much simpler to just combine it into one shape.

For the dirt that the plant sprouts from, I took inspiration from some of the comments made in the previous crit session, mostly regarding to the function and texture. I decided to make the dirt and plant removable from the pot to have a fun interactive part of the papercraft, as it simulates potting a real plant. Unfortunately, I admit I could not get this concept to work before the due date, as I think the shape of the pot got skewed somehow during assembling. Though, you can still see the painted texture of the dirt without removing the cylinder, so there's that.



 For the butterfly I decided to take some inspiration from Zim and Zou's works, specifically how they layer their papercrafts, though at a much smaller scale. I also liked a comment that came up during the critique that the pot and plant have a lowpoly aesthetic, so it would make sense that the butterfly would as well, which explains it's new, block-y appearance. I really like the colours on this guy, as it really contrasts with the rest of the object.



Overall, I'm disappointed I couldn't get the pot's functionality to work, but I am happy with how it looks! It was an interesting experience to be able to create a paper model from scratch and go about actually making it, and it's something I'd definitely want to come back to!

No comments:

Post a Comment